This is an applet for KDE Plasma panel that lets you switch between virtual desktops and also invoke some actions to dynamically manage them in a convenient way. In order to do it, you can use the applet's context menu or user-defined keyboard shortcuts. There are also some automated features, like in the GNOME Shell.
The plasmoid displays virtual desktops as text labels (numbers, names, both) with indicators (various styles). That means there's no icons* or window previews like in the Plasma's default Pager applet. Although the intention is to keep it simple, the applet has some options regarding its behavior and visuals, which should be more than enough for desktop customization enthusiasts and folks at /r/unixporn who want to make their panels aesthetically-pleasant.
* However, it's possible to use symbols provided by FontAwesome (or any other Unicode glyphs) as desktop names.
- switching to a desktop
- switching to a recent desktop
- creating a new desktop
- removing last desktop
- removing current desktop
- moving current desktop to left
- moving current desktop to right
- renaming current desktop
- keeping at least one empty desktop
- removing redundant empty desktops
- renaming desktops once they become empty
- switching to a manually added desktop
- prompting to rename a manually added desktop
- executing a command after manually adding a desktop
Installing the applet directly from the Plasma Add-On Installer will NOT work.
To install the applet, either get it as a distro specific package, or build it from source by yourself.
Arch Linux users can get the applet as an AUR package made by cupnoodles.
First, you need to install some required dependencies:
• On Kubuntu or KDE neon, run:
• On Arch or Manjaro, run:
• On openSUSE, run:
• On Fedora, CentOS or RHEL, run:
Then, compile the source code and install the applet:
sudo make install
Note: If you want to remove the applet, use
sudo make uninstall.
Note: These steps also apply if you want to upgrade to a newer version.
After that, you should be able to find Virtual Desktop Bar in the Widgets menu.
The applet has some options regarding its behavior and visuals. You'll find them in the configuration dialog.
Don't get fooled by an empty Keyboard Shortcuts section though. It's an imposed thing, common for all plasmoids.
There are global keyboard shortcuts, but you have to define them in the Global Shortcuts System Settings Module. They should be available under KWin, Plasma or Latte Dock component, depending on the shell's mood and where have you placed the applet. The shortcuts are named like this:
- Switch to Recent Desktop
- Add New Desktop
- Remove Last Desktop
- Remove Current Desktop
- Move Current Desktop to Left
- Move Current Desktop to Right
- Rename Current Desktop
- "Error loading QML file" (see here for a possible solution)
- Virtual desktops are shared by all monitors (KWin's limitation)
- Support for Plasma Wayland session isn't there yet (maybe some day)
- The code behind this applet is a hot mess that begs for a rewrite (I'm a moron)
- Dynamic virtual desktop management doesn't play nice with KWin scripts (see below)
Compatibility with KWin scripts
If you want to use this applet with some KWin scripts (especially tiling scripts), they may not work correctly. However, this is only related to some non-standard features that Virtual Desktop Bar provides. I recommend reading this document for more details and tips for KWin script developers who are interested in providing support for the plasmoid.
And that's it. It's a very niche applet, so don't expect more scripts to follow.
Note: You also need to tick a checkbox in the Advanced section of the configuration dialog.